Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Would it make it any different if that sleeping bag cost $10, or your backpack? Would this lend its self to a different style?

I've actually been trending towards cheaper gear over the past few years. The main reasons for this are a desire to go lighter, and a realization that I can't justify spending big bucks for gear. I can incorporate a lot of handed down info on how to go lighter on the cheap. So that's what I've done. All in all, what I have now a pretty "Hobo" set up, but it's lighter than what I had and it works better.

But I think you're right, cheap gear does lend itself to a different style of getting out there. Before I had my own "real" backpacking gear I used to do way more car camping than backpacking. I could afford sleeping bags and tents to go car camping and day hiking.

I still do this. Now I have a little 4x4 and I can drive NF roads way off the paved highways and car camp wherever I want. I love doing day hikes like this, and it's really nice to come back to a camp that has some real luxuries after a day of bushwhacking and exploring.

Car camping is pretty cool once you figure it out. My little Suzuki Samurai is about the perfect vehicle to go car camping with. Once you get the right car it's darn sweet, and cheap camping gear works great.

But... It doesn't scratch the backpacking itch. For that you need to go backpacking.

If I had to, I could probably manage with gear that mostly costs $10 or less. I'd have to scrounge a lot, and probably beg a bit, but it wouldn't take that long to gather up what would work well enough. And when I did I go right back to where I've always gone, off the trail and into the forest wink

"You want to go where?"