Originally Posted By UnknownDIY
I want to take the shelter that I think will work where I am going, not force something to work where it shouldn't. once you add a top quilt and underquilt to carry, I don't see many advantages over a tarp tent. So I guess for me, after a fair amount of use, a hammock is another tool, not the only one.

Absolutely.

I'm finding that a big part of lightening your load is twiddling with things till you get it tuned in and know what to expect. The hammock thing is still pretty new to me, and I see some advantages that are significant for some of the places I want to go, but these last few trips I had to admit I need to change some things if I'm going to keep using one.

The tarp tent isn't something I'd use a lot here. Bugs and snakes are hunkered down this time of year, so a tarp is a better choice. A lot of times you don't even need that. A ground cloth and pad will do. But I've always carried a tent before, and none of them were free standing, and finding a clear spot and setting stakes can be tough here.

If I can get it right, a hammock and a tarp would be the set up for the Ozarks.

"You want to go where?"