Originally Posted By billstephenson
Thank you Lori. The book sounds like a great resource.

A quick look at the Hennessy site shows most of their lighter hammocks are 100" x 48". There's one model that's 108" x 55" and they say it will work for people 6-7' tall.

Mine is 83" x 50", so the length might be a big part of my problem. If that's the case I have to wonder if bigger isn't better when it comes to comfort. To a point, it kind of makes sense that it does.

Yes it is bill. I have several hammocks. a hennesey (pretty good) a Speer 8.5C (which I really like) a WBB blackbird (*very comfortable, but heavy) and a grand trunk nano-7 (very very light)

the nano is a lot shorter and skinner - it's also not as luxurious as some of the bigger hammocks.

google up "risk's test hammock" - I'm sure you've seen it before. All you need then is a regular width of materiel on a bolt - often 55 or 60 inches wide. The wider hammock and longer hammock is easier to go diagonal in. go make a risk
hammock with some wally world materiel and try it out a bit.

a longer hammock can be a little bit harder to get a good hang in thougth, ymmv..

I personally find getting the "right" hang for me is more important than the size, but it's a matter of individual taste.
Browse my pictures