I find a shoe that fits well and this usually is a flexible low-cut shoe. Then I replace the insole with Superfeet. Although the Superfeet add $30 to the cost, this works well for me. I also take the original insole as a spare- that way I can dry out the Superfeet insole and walk around camp in the original- particularly nice if I have had to get shoes wet crossing a creek.

I too have progressed from heavy high boots to the lightest shoes possible. For a while I just put Superfeet into regular tennis shoes ( I did this on a 100-mile trip with lots of off-trail travel including going over Harrison Pass as well as short sections of strapping on crampons!). I think the smaller you are, the more easily you can get by with light shoes.

If I were you I would try to find a good pair of trail running shoes with roomy toes, fit large for using thick wool socks. Then if you feel too much through the bottom, exchange the insole for Superfeet. And only if that does not work, go to boots as a last resort.