Nope. but good gear can make you more comfortable, which can make you go out more, which increases your skill and makes you be comfortable and safe, perhaps with less gear.

However, there are reasonable limits - a bic lighter is a mighty fine substitute for a bowdrill and skill. However, having *used* a bowdrill (premade in good condiitons it works pretty good) and attempted to make a bowdrill and board from scratch (a multiple hour exercise, with eventual success, but god help me in bad weather with the shakes) - there would be the "skill" that makes me always have a bic lighter.. it's not like I *can't* do without.. I just don't *want* to. it sucks!

decent gear *can* also make up for a lack of skill because the poor inexperienced sap is only carrying 15 pounds total on their back, and is still comfortable and well fed. I've taken more than enough newbies out with my kind of kit to know that - the light good gear means they aren't beat to death and stupid at the end of the day. That means their lack of experience doesn't catch up to them so quickly, and they learn things and enjoy themselves. Ok, they are with me so they have some walking experience with them. but still.

Browse my pictures