Barefoot-type footwear (Five Fingers, sandals, flexible trail runners) is becoming increasingly popular, which is probably a good thing for those with young healthy feet. For mine, which thanks to genetics, old age and a number of pregnancies have become quite deformed (weak arches, bunions, hammertoes), I need quite a lot of support in my shoe structure, particularly anti-pronation and stability devices built into the sole.

On the other hand, I have found supportive trail runners to be a far less fatiguing and blister-producing alternative to boots! While I still have my boots, I have worn them only twice (in one of our very rare snowstorms in the Portland area) since I switched to trail runners three years ago! I plan to get a pair of the Neos overshoes for my trail runners for snow so I can toss the boots, which I can't stand to have on my feet any more!

I also agree about the trekking poles, a great saver of feet and knees as well as a booster for hiking speed and rhythm.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/09/11 01:14 PM)