Very good Samoset, the aussies are wonderful dogs, well behaved, intelligent and medium sized with good working capacity. A perfect companion both at home and on the track.

To select the breeders and then to select the puppy is another matter. The breeder must be recognized by the FCC and should have some reputation within the community of that breed. If this is ok you are as secure as you ever will be.

But how to select the puppy is another matter. I have done it three times and it starts with a phone call to the breeder to ensure that I may have the first selection of the puppies. If I may not have this then I wait to find another litter.

When I have a deal with the breeder, I take two trips to view the puppies, one just to see size and tendencies (not yet make a decision) but later when the puppies are almost weaned I make the final choice. Find out when the puppies are fed, and arrive some time before that.

Buy a balloon and blow it up, and throw it to the puppies. See who is most interested in it, and who takes charge of the play. When it explodes, see who is the first one back to look for it. There you have a strong, self secure, unafraid dog. If this dog steals food from the other and better even from his mother I would say perfect! That is my choice method. If you forget the balloon, clap your hand hard, or find some other way to mak an abrupt unexpected noise. Works the same.

If you are unfamiliar with training dogs, you could pick not the top alfa dog, but the second on the list. At all cost I would stay away from the timid afraid puppy in the corner. Some like this, but I think this could be a bigger problem than the top alfa dog.
Otto