It is quite evident that choosing a dog breed even for a specific purpose is a very personal and subjective process.

We had a Golden retreiver breeder next door when I was a kid. They might be the easiest going outdoor breed around.

In defense of herding dogs, specifically border collies and Australian sheperds, they have a few basic requirements. They need to run everyday, they need some attention, and they don't suffer fools. Smart dogs can be emotionally sensitive and will not respond well to swatting with newspapers, yelling, or any negative reinforcement. They are not for first time dog owners, or people who work 60 hours a week unless they go to work with their owners. They do better with another dog companion if left alone during the day.

I lie down on the floor with my bc every day, run her at 14 years of age, and take her everywhere. Today she brought in 2 Sunday papers in one trip. Yesterday we went to the Nevada Day parade and made friends with many people, and about 12 dogs. She responds to hand signals. She has big feet and can swim with Labs all day. She loves boat trips, and flies on airplanes easily. She has never hardly growled at another dog or threatened a person in her whole life. I will never be without a border collie for the rest of my life. Smart dogs will not tolerate bad owners, but will respond beautifully to owners who are compassionate and dedicated.