Thanks, Glenn, for suggesting Deuter. Sarbar of "Trailcooking.com" fame uses a women's-specific Deuter pack. Cherry, I suggest you try the Deuter women's packs. Their packs are not lightweight but are very comfortable with lots and lots of padding. If your REI store doesn't have them in the store, you can order the pack from them and have it sent to the nearest store so you'll have help trying it on.

For what it's worth, I tried a number of packs at REI several years ago and didn't find any that I liked. I also found the Osprey packs uncomfortable.

My grandson has a Deuter Fox 30 which he has almost outgrown, and it has been so comfortable that he's been able easily to carry several pounds more than he really should for his age. I know I'm going to have problems finding the next step up for him (he's about to turn 12).

I'm built broader (although shorter), so I luckily am able to use a unisex pack without problems. Unfortunately the "cottage" manufacturers (who are making most of the innovative lightweight packs) haven't come up with woman-specific packs. In other words, going lighter will probably not help much in your case. The one possibility might be the ULA Catalyst or Circuit with the S-shaped straps.

Just a note--it would be better to bundle up your actual gear and take it to REI. Most packs carry a lot different with real gear inside than they do with the weights provided in the stores!

You might also look for other outfitters in your area, especially locally owned stores. They are usually (not always) more skilled at fitting packs than big stores like REI. If you can tell us where you are located, somebody on this board should be able to recommend a store--or maybe several.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/26/11 01:47 AM)