I feel like I just took two steps backwards are far as being prepared for the elements. I have to admit ahead of time, I kinda rushed into this last minute hike.
Last Thursday I hiked up to Chickenfoot Lake in the Little Lakes Valley for just a couple days. According to a few backpackers I met going in, the temps were 30 degree's the night before and a little colder the previous night. It was only a 5 mile hike but at 10700', I was really burned out for the rest of the day. I ended up reluctantly going to bed around 6 pm and didn't sleep well at all. Woke up cold, put on all my cloths over my thermals, yet just couldn't get warm for the entire night.
A couple of years ago, I purchased the WM Ultralite which is rated at 20 degree's. It has served me well so far with only a few nights in the low 30's. I usually use a foam pad from walmart, but ended up using my Big Agnes Air Core Pad instead. I also use a piece of Tyvek to fit under my Eureka Spitfire UL tent. So I guess my question is what am I doing wrong ??? Any suggestions or is it just me.... ??