Originally Posted By Samual Miller
At this point it sounds like hydration is a major aspect, and while it was on my mind, I suppose I hadn't focused enough on it, does anyone have any simple solutions to keeping water with me? Are camelbacks good/can they be used in unison with a backpacking pack? (Not sure of the technical term for a backpacking pack aha..)

Most commercial backpacks have a sleeve for a camelback and are setup to route the tubing to your shoulder straps for easy access. You'll also probably want a water treatment option. A popular option around here is a sawyer gravity fed system. I have a steripen (that I haven't gotten to use much yet frown ), and pump filters are another option.

Originally Posted By Samual Miller

Planning is going to be the biggest part for me, I realize this, I have no specific time I want to do this trip, just before my life starts falling into place and I start adopting more fiscal responsibilities, thus rendering a trip of this magnitude more difficult to do.

I hear people saying that hitch hiking is a no go, and I was afraid that would be the case, so I never really put to much faith in that idea (I am 6'2" and medium set, so I'm not a small guy anyways, not sure if that matters to serial killers and such though xD)

It's not the hitch hikers killed by serial killers that was the problem. Hitch hikers were free spirits that weren't too bothered by that kind of thing. It is the hitch hikers that were serial killers that got everybody too scared to pick anyone up.