I made the jump from an external frame Kelty circa late '60's to "frameless" with the purchase of the 24oz SixMoons starlight pack. For myself, I really liked the idea of the internal pocket to stuff my sleeping pad into; this ends up being the pack frame. There are a few pack designs that do this and I have forgotten most already. What sold me on the SixMoons is when the hoop stay came out. This stay is the sides and top of a rectangular shaped piece of aluminum that runs around the sleeping pad pocket for extra support. With this I felt I had full flexiability on loading the pack up. I have had 48 lbs in it (with the hip belt) and been surprisingly comfortable. I think a lot of this has been my selection of pad and how I load the pack up. After 3 trips of varying start weights, I am sold on this as agood fit for me.

I think the key was to purchase the pack, and clean the house wearing the thing with 35 lbs in it. After some experimentation, it was comfortable. If it wasn't, I would have sent it back in new condition under 30 days and all would be good. After I realized I didn't have the time to make my own pack and do modifications, I spent about 6 months shopping before I made my selection.

Things I miss from the external frame...pockets! Pockets for organizing and ease of access. More sweating as the pack is right next to my back. Also, the 48 lb start weight kind of blindsided me on the Winds trip (I couldn't believe the stuff we "had" to bring!). A more realistic max start weight for me is more like 40 lbs with this pack.

Good luck with it Samoset!