I don't think that hiking boots, per se, caused that problem. Rather, I'd think it was the fit of the particular boots you chose. Of course, I could be wrong...

One thing I know for sure is, fit, feel, and comfort are directly related to how tight you lace mid-top hiking boots. Because they lace up higher on your foot it makes sense (to me anyway) that this effect would be more pronounced with a mid-top boot compared to low-top shoes.

Every few days I have to loosen the laces on my Merrells because they tend to keep cinching up each time I put them on. When they get to tight they hurt, if I keep walking in them like that all day it really hurts. Several days in a row of that would render me lame.

As far as winter hiking shoes go, the best I ever owned were snow mobile shoes. The pair I had was discontinued the year I got them and I've never seen any quite like them since. I've never tried any others, but I'd certainly look into them if I were planning on doing a lot of hiking in the snow.

I do hike a little in snow here, though usually not very deep snow (6-8 inches is a lot here), and I do hike in below freezing quite a bit, so I use wool blend socks and "Toastie Toes" with those same Merrells I wear everyday. This year I think I'll try gluing a piece of mylar under my padded inserts to see if that helps keep some warmth in too, but I'm a firm believer in those "Toastie Toes" chemical warmers.

"You want to go where?"