Well there are solo hiking areas and there are solo hiking areas. Meaning: it is one thing to go solo where you hike, and another matter for others like me or MNS03 when she gets back to Alaska.

Last winter I went for a hike four days alone midweek. After about a mile from the trailhead the cellphone coverage was out (but I know of a spot where one might get to call smile ). During the four days I did not even see another person, even from a distance. And this is a popular area. Probably would have seen someone if I had hiked in the weekend, maybee even met them.

Allison I read the blog and I noticed you met several hikers on the way. That is about as solo as a walk downtown for me. Probably had phone coverage too, and then there is no fear of anything going to happen that YOU must face alone. It is when you know you are absolutely alone and noone may assist you that the challenge comes.

Our hiking association DNT has made some rules called the mountain code to increase awarenes of hiking in the mountains. http://www.turistforeningen.no/english/article.php?ar_id=7090&fo_id=3622 One of the points there is not to walk alone, but the meaning is that only people that have extensive experience should consider this.

But IMHO the real fear of danger is a combination of going solo plus being moderately experienced and in addition going ultra light. Then you have no extra of anything, and the vulnerability is high. We have had alredy several people rescued for getting too cold in the mountains, and we are not in winter yet. Only some flour on the highest peaks.

Edited by OttoStover (09/24/11 11:34 PM)