I'm off on a solo hike today. Unfortunately, I can't spend the night, but I'm packing as if I will have to just in case. As a result of a thread on this forum, I have a much better itinerary prepared. A map which I'll stick to. As well as a picture of myself in the gear I'll be wearing. I have a different pack, so that's a little important. As well as a picture of the bottom of my boots. And a picture of my tarp and hammock. I send this by email to a friend so it can be forwarded easily if needed. I have a SPOT programmed to send messages to a friend's cell phone in case I have difficulty. He is more familiar in dealing with emergency services than my son. Lori has an excellent article on leaving an itinerary on her website which you can find in her signature.

Something I haven't seen in many safety articles is "Check the weather." Yahoo is the best source around here. www.wunderground.com is a good source for radar maps and weather to the west of us which is the direction our weather usually comes from. It's always prudent to prepare for afternoon thunderstorms here.

Bill, you suggested Allison write about her experiences rather than the safety issues. In my opinion, this may bring about what people don't want. A person going solo without considering the safety issues sufficiently. It looks easy and fun in pictures when other people do it.

When anyone writes a blog on safety and puts it out for comments there is a chance to learn from others and for others to learn from them. Would we want a person to leave gaps in their knowledge because they were fearful of posting their knowledge? It's like not raising your hand in class to ask a really dumb question when you first have it. It just keeps getting worse as time goes on. The things a person leaves out are probably an indication of what others don't know, too.

I've learned a lot from those of you who have told me what I don't know. Thanks.