I get the impression from the posts I remember (my memory is not that great) and from web page that you do not backpack solo. And why would you when you have your lovely wife to accompany you. But Balzaccom, have you spent 7+ days out on your own? Do you talk to yourself when you do go solo. I have noticed this in myself as well, but people who have been out on their own tend to want to socialize (in a way that may be trying to make up for lost time if you know what I mean). At least, NORMAL people do. But I will grant you that it makes it hard to tell the sane from not so sane.

My wife and I were on the JMT heading into evolution valley when we noticed a solitary backpacker behind us closing fast. We wanted to find a nice breezy spot for a break and continued on till we found one. Here this guy caught up with us. We had a nice little chat while we munched our snacks. He was doing the entire JMT solo and he was something like into his 15th day. We all got up and started off again, with him following us. The little warning light in my head starts going off. I pull Patty aside and ask the gent to pass us because we are slow. He accepts, and leads the way, but at a slower pace than expected.

It was starting to get to our time to find a nice camp spot and we were planing to camp near the head of the valley. When we get to that spot, I can tell that Patty is finished for the day...so we stop. And so does this guy who was 50 ft ahead of us. Now I am hearing that theme from Pyscho...you know the ONE. But at the same time there is another voice in my head reminding me of how I am after just 3 or 4 days alone; people can't shut me up. So....I don't say anything and we camp together. We end up having a nice evening together talking around the fire, but I still sleep very light and wake up to every sound I hear.

Next morning he is off early; plans to spend the night in the Muir Pass hut before heading off to Whitney. He says to stop by if we can. But this is probably goodby; from here on I can only take Patty up 1000 to 1500 feet max due to her sensitivity to the altitude. I get us above Evolution Lake and set up camp in a nice spot and then run up to Muir Hut. The guy is there and we talk for another hour over hot coco he has made. The guy is so lonely I have to force a goodby and good luck so I can get back down to my wife.

Going solo is not for everyone. And after a few days, even sane people can seem off.