Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started looking, again, for a simple/fast app to view Radar images. Although I found some great apps out there, they didn't really do what I wanted, which was just showing me the Radar, and to be honest, while someof those apps have a lot of features, many of them, like the "Weather Channel" app, are just too "Whiz Banging" for me. Too many buttons and icons and screens and advertisements.

So... I spent a some time creating my own "Radar App". It's designed more for the outdoors enthusiast who wants to keep an eye on approaching storms.

Right now it only shows the short range "Base Radar" and "Composite Radar" images. There are other radar images, like "Relative Motion" and "Precipitation", and I'll make an different app that includes all of those, but this one is meant to be simple and fast, no extraneous crap, just the latest radar images showing storms (or lack thereof).

My tests show it to be faster than the NOAA radar page. This is mostly because they add a ton of stuff on their page that I don't. And, you can switch from viewing the latest "Base Radar" to the latest "Composite Radar" instantly.

The app uses the radar images directly from the NOAA webservers (they make them available specifically for this purpose), you can select any NOAA radar station in the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii) and it shows most of the layers they provide including:

Topo Map
Rivers
Highways
County Borders
Latest Radar Image
Legend
Warnings

This "Web App" will run in most web browsers on your Desktop, Laptop, iPhone, iTouch, iPad, Android phones and most Tablets and Netbooks.

It requires a network connection, so if you're out of range and can't make a phone call or access the web, you probably can't use the app either.

I haven't thought of a catchy name for the app yet, but you can find it here:

Bill's Radar App

It is, of course, free. And I'll be making some changes and adding some features to it, so it's not completely finished yet, but there's enough there to make it useful right now.

If you use it, please let me know what you think of it, good or bad. wink

Kindest Regards,

Bill Stephenson

"You want to go where?"