Kind Head

I own a GSI bugaboo cook set - the 4 pot w/frying pan lid set. I bought it for car camping years ago to get the size of our pot and pans down and inside a campbox (for car camping).

As a compromise piece (for car camping and backpacking) it isn't terrible - which isn't the same as saying that it is well adapted to your purpose.

The frying pans are thin, so it is easy to burn stuff in them. I often bring a good frying pan car camping if I know I'm going to fry something.

The pots are heavy for backpacking. The 4 cup pot (amount it will hold up to the rivets - I measured) weighs 9 oz. They work great for my original intended purpose, and are an ok peice for backpacking until I find something better - and there are a lot of pots out there designed for boiling water that are lighter, which defines goodness in this case.

I wouldn't buy them as a mess kit, b/c the pans are nonstick coated and will get messed up in a boy scout environment where you use knives to cut up your food.

That said, if you've already bought the pot, it will work to get you out on the trail, where you can learn and make adjustments.

Recommend you buy a scale and make a spreadsheet with your gear and what it weighs (really weighs, not manufacturer's weight) before you buy anything else. I am working through this process based on advice given here on this forum before I buy any more major peices of gear, or replace anything to improve it.

Keep asking questions, and keep listening. There are good people here who can help you get to Mecca - I'm just one of the blind trying to find a way.

Sincerely

Steadman

Edited by Steadman (08/27/11 02:06 PM)