To be brutally frank: You have committed the classic beginner's mistake of buying "traditional" heavy--and expensive--gear. This is a lightweight backpacking site, and, as our motto says, "Packing light is more fun!" It also lets you hike farther, faster and without the inevitable stress injuries that come from carrying a heavy pack. As already mentioned, after a few trips with the heavy stuff you'll want to get rid of it and go with something lighter and more comfortable.

Please don't buy anything more--and save the receipts and tags for what you already have--until you have read the articles on the home page of this site. This will give you a lot of ideas.

From reading reviews, I've noted that Nemo tents are not very well ventilated and are therefore prone to condensation. You might want to look at other makes of single-wall tents or lightweight double-wall tents from the "cottage" manufacturers such as Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, Bearpaw and others. Some of these are "modular" style tents consisting of a tarp and a separate net tent. You buy them separately but they are meant to go together. Of course you can use just the tarp or just the net tent if you prefer, which gives you more options. You also set the tarp up first, which means the net tent and floor won't get wet if it's raining when you pitch or take down your shelter. Please look at these many and varied options and read some reviews before you order the Nemo.

The one other item I'd add is that for northern Minnesota in late fall, you definitely will want something quite a bit warmer than a 35 degree sleeping bag. I'm shivering just thinking about it! You also will want a pad, probably an insulated air pad, that is insulated to an R value of approximately 5. You will freeze below 40*F with the BA Air Core or any other uninsulated air pad.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/26/11 02:08 PM)