So I am very fresh to the whole backpacking thing. Im 20 Years old from the Twin Cities, MN. Ive always loved the outdoors and camping. But it wasnt until about last month that I decided I was going to build up enough gear for a week in Northern Minnesota. Either somewhere in the Boundary Waters or Part of the Superior Hiking Trail.

So I figured I would start with the pack. I bought the latest model of the Gregory Baltoro 65. After trying on several packs I always came back to the Gregory. I found it to be by far the most comfort.

Sleeping Bag - Mountain Hardware Lamina 35 degree. The synthetic version which I found to be extremely lightweight and amazing quality for the price. Got it on sale for 99.99, And after compression it gets down to about the size of an average hiking boot. Extremely happy with it so far in the warmer weather. I have faith it will hold up just fine during the fall seasons as well.

Tent. Where most of my long hours of research has lied smile

So My grandpa gave me his old tent as a gift a while back.. and it has treated me soo well. An ollld Eureka 2p. easy set up.. small and fairly lightweight. Until recently the floor started going out, which isnt surprising since its like 10 years old.
So I began my research. Which lead me to the Nemo Meta 2p. I knew I wanted to have the best and didnt really care what i had to pay. with the weight(under 3lbs) and the Interior/vestibule space I was sold. I order the tent tomorrow through a friend who was nice enough to let me use her REI employee discount.
Question - being as it is a single wall tent I have heard multiple people say there is some condensation issues when its all battoned down. Most say they expected it and its not a big enough problem to really bother them. - If anyone owns the tent and has a more personalized review thad be awesome!

Trekking Poles - Since the Nemo is held up by trekking poles I figured Id start hiking with poles!! lol.
Black Diamond Carbon Cork. Which also just went on sale i think 25% off REI.
They get great reviews and seem like a good price.. If anyone has some input on these id love to hear it.

Stove/Cookware. - Snowpeak Lightmax stove.

I could use some advice on cooksets. I am almost 99% set on the GSI bugaboo backpacker set. I originally was looking into lighter weight more minimal sets. But I realized I would really like to have a pot AND a skillet that all fit together into one package with my fuel/stove. The reason for the pan is I do a lot of car camping too and I want to be able to cook a full breakfast.. eggs bacon hashbrowns if need be. there are 2 bowls and 2 cups included but people say ditch the bowls, use the space for fuel, and go pick up a small plate/bowl

any shared experience with this set or others similar would be great

Headlamp - Black Diamond Headstorm

Camping Tools - Im just going to get the Leatherman Wave. I am not concerned about the weight of my tool so much. Being somewhat inexperienced Its nice to have piece of mind in having 16 tools for any situation.
-Standard Compass/topo maps

Water Filtration - MSR Miniworks EX. Another piece of gear I have yet to buy but I am set on getting very soon. I like that you are able to pump water on the up and down motions.

To start fires I will rely on the Ultimate Survival Strike Force. Its suppose to last pretty much forever.. and can get wet.

First Aid - I could use a little help with this. I will probably just get one from REI and add a few things. Not sure what to add really. But want to be prepared for any serious infections.. open wounds, even a headache or sore muscles.

Sleeping Pad - I have an old thermarest but it is very old. (Given to me along with that ol' tent) Great pad. I actually lived in a apt for a year with no bed and just slept on that. So when Im out on the trail its like home again. But its just too big and heavy. I have been looking into the Big Agnes Air Core but I am open to suggestions!

Shoe - I have been looking for an affordable shoe that I can also wear out on the town as well. I wear sanuks every day of the week so I really loved the feel of the Patagonia Olulu how you can really feel the ground below you. I dont like big soles. But I figured if I wanna be a more serious hiker I should probably look into a more serious shoe??
I tried on the patagonia Scree Shield. Loved the way it felt. I need something affordable at this point cuz the shoe is the last thing that I will probably buy.
maybe some gortex socks to go with them.

That pretty much covers my list of gear. Some of it hasnt been purchased yet but I plan to be on the trail by late october or early Nov. Tent and cooking supplies I will be getting in the next couple of days.
I chose a lot of gear that i figured would not have to be replaced for some time. I am interested to hear any experiences with some of the same stuff. Do you have any advice for me? places to go in Minnesota? What to eat on the trail? Anything that could help me out!

Please if anyone here owns the NEMO Meta.. I really want to know how its working out for people.

Thanks so much for reading.. I hope that wasnt too long for a first time poster =P