There have been occasions where I've been more active in trying to help than others - like the two guys looking for their third person. I told them to write down a description of him on the back of their map and sent someone ahead to turn it in to a ranger. I've given water to a clearly dehydrated guy insisting that he was going to Half Dome - when the leader of the group showed up I ordered the guy to take his friend BACK to the valley medical center - but left them there to make their final decision on their own. (The guy told me he'd had diarrhea for three days, and decided to go 16 miles with no food and little water? and the trip leader let it happen?)

Most of the time I give specific info when asked. But people are notoriously bad at giving info to me - I've been told (unsolicited) half a mile and it ends up being two miles, or vice versa, and sometimes people will say things like "there's a rattler on the trail!" and when I get there it's a gopher snake.

http://hikeandbackpack.com