When on the High Route last year I met several also doing the route the opposite direction. We exchanged information on conditions, but no way would we even think of asking how may more miles or "where are we". If you do not know how to keep track of exactly where you are, you have no business being on a 200 mile off-trail route!

In the past I was more accomodating but after a lot of effort and little thanks, I have become less involved with other's plights. Case in point- found a large stack of maps at a remote campsite- next day went down this very difficult route (Enchanted Gorge in the Sierra), met the fellows who had forgotten their maps. I showed them my map but no way was I going to give it to them. It was my only map and I still needed it. I got their address, packed their maps out, and sent them back. The worth of that stack of map was nearly $70, more than a pound of extra weight in my pack for more than a week and postage out of my pocket at about $8. Not even a letter of thanks. Next map I found left on the trail, I simply kept the "booty" even though there was a name on the map and I could hav called FS to get address from their permit.

If someone were in medical distress, I would stop and do everything I could. But just answering a question of "are we there"- no way.