I've been on both side of this question, but nothing too extreme like you guys have experienced. lol. Sometimes I feel like I need a GPS. Only for distance purpose. When I hike long-distance, I always try to use my resources carefully. I pretty much always know how far I'm going or where the next water source is, etc. But problem is, I sometimes miscalculate how far I've been hiking and how much further I got to go. (as evident during my last trip on 32 mile trek on AT in the Smokies) I do this for water purpose, food, and how my body feels. I like to manage my resource by how much miles I have to go. If I have short mile to go to camp, I won't eat any powerbars, I'll save them for next day and eat my meal at camp instead. If I'm close to a water source, I'll go ahead and drink my water up and resupply there. you know? It hard to explain how I think, but it way my mind can work sometimes. haha. Sometimes when you know you have a short walk to go it can give you last minute energy burst than if you know you have some more to miles to go.