Funny thing is that when my husband and I are out together, he gives them one answer and me an entirely different one. Then we go on our way, leaving them confused! We are not trying to be contrary- we both have such different perceptions of distance and time.

OK, here I will confess. I honestly do not feel personally responsible for all the hikers out there. Particulary if I've been off trail for days without seeing anyone. About all the information I give out is "its a ways" or "almost there". Then I leave before other questions are asked.

On my last trip's hike out I really had to bite my tongue. The trailhead was one of those that offers a nice quick trip into better stuff, but is hot, dusty and not scenic for nearly six miles. Definitely not a trail for day-hiking. This poor family with 8-10 year old kids was coming up the trail obviously day-hiking. The little boy was dragging his feet whining "this is realy boring". I so much wanted to say- "your so right kid and it does not get better for six miles!" Parents were putting on a good show tring to convince the kids how wonderful everything was. The kids who were not so easily fooled were resisting. The dad had made the boy a hiking stick out of a branch. As I was passing the boy said " look, she has REAL hiking poles". Having been a parent, I knew any comment from me would not be welcome.