I'm one of those people who loves being in motion. There is a book "Bodies in Motion" that describes it. I'm not fidgety, but I'm happiest when I'm traveling long distances regardless of how. Running, driving, motorcycling, bicycling, hiking.

Planning for a long trip that is beyond the average person and below the extreme person is a lot of fun for me. I micro-plan to the extent that everything usually goes according to plan and the execution seems easy. That gives me satisfaction. Once I start the trip, I just chill and go at a steady pace knowing it will work out according to the plan. Usually I hit waypoints with the precision of a Japanese train, but without thinking about it while traveling by whatever means.

On Aug 2, we are going to attempt the Colorado Trail. I've calculated our speed in each mile based on the elevation changes and altitude and figure we will hit each stop pretty much right on time without thinking about it much while hiking. At this point, I know finishing is doubtful due to the possibility of snow at the end. Yes, I'll write all these down and compare it to the plan, but I won't obsess over it while we hike.

My excitement is more internally generated than externally generated. Yes, I enjoy the views, but what's going on internally while hiking is more fun.

As I age (I'm 58) I find I'm capable of more than when I was young. I've learned the art of staying below 80% of the level of where I'll feel fatigue and extending the distance because I never feel fatigue.

I still haven't answered the question. I guess the answer is "Because I have to."