My stock hammock fly (Hennessy Hammock Exped) is a diamond shape and I attached that right to the ridgeline via prussics. I would rather the tarp have its own ridgeline because of reasons aforementioned, the sag when hammock bears a load, then the wind factor and flapping around. I feel with it on its own ridge line it would be more taut.

I also like the idea of setting up the tarp first and having a place to set up camp under a tarp before anything. That is my main reason for having a separate ridgeline really.

A double line ridgeline is one rope around the tree and connecting to the edge of the tarp, and does not run under the full length of the tarp as a single line does. It ends at the grommet or webbing. The same thing on the other side. Apparently this saves weight. It came with my tarp so I figure I will just use that instead of purchasing the 1 line ridge line from Whoopieslings as my original plan was.

Thanks for the replies so far folks!

GDP

DTape - what you do is exactly what I am trying to do. So you are using a 2line ridgeline as well? ...I believe....thats how I read it. So how do you secure your line around the tree, and to the hammock?