Originally Posted By Heather-ak
From http://www.leptospirosis.org/topic.php?t=15

Iodine tablets
Water purification tablets that use iodine are very effective too, and don't need a heat source, but can leave a taste that some people find unpleasant. They are however easy to use and light to carry, so are ideal for long hikes and expeditions to remote areas. It's not an option for large volumes or a household supply.

OK, time for my periodic rant about iodine. My own experience is that after a month of use (only on weekends) I developed an all-over rash consisting of deep lesions (lichen planus) that left permanent scars. To this day I still cannot eat anything with even trace amounts of iodine. That means no seafood, no food prepared with iodized salt (which means most restaurants and most food prepared in peoples' homes are out), nothing with added iodine. Until very recently, it meant I could never have an angiogram (there are now alternatives available).

I found that this allergy or sensitization or whatever you want to call to iodine it is not at all uncommon. I wouldn't wish this condition on my worst enemy!

Per the Centers for Disease Control:
Quote:
Iodine has physiologic activity (it is used by the thyroid), so WHO recommends limiting iodine water disinfection to a few weeks of emergency use. It is not recommended in persons with unstable thyroid disease, known iodine allergy, or pregnancy (because of the potential effect on the fetal thyroid).

More from the CDC (same article as above):
Quote:
some common waterborne parasites such as Cryptosporidium, are poorly inactivated by halogen [iodine and chlorine bleach/sodium hypochlorite] disinfection, even at practical extended contact times.

I strongly recommend never using iodine! Chlorine dioxide tablets are much safer, kill all bacteria and viruses, and kill protozoans given sufficient contact time. Used in conjunction with a filter of 1.0 microns or smaller, chlorine dioxide plus flitration is by far the safest method other than boiling.

IMHO, any source that recommends using iodine for water disinfection and doesn't even mention chlorine dioxide is very poorly informed.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/27/11 03:23 PM)