Originally Posted By Rick_D
As best as I've been able to ascertain, MIOX primarily produces hypochlorous acid and sodium hypochlorite, although some resources also note free chlorine, chlorine dioxide and ozone as products. Whichever the case, it's not a "ClO2 generator" per se.

From the literature, it would seem the dry ClO2 tablets take longer to form free ClO2 than the liquids (both 1- and 2-part) and as a result are a slower method. The Pristine site at the link says this about the liquid:

Quote:
ClO2 is effective against the following water contaminants:

•viruses
•water bacteria
•giardia
•cryptosporidium
•botulism
•e. coli
•cholera

I know this much: ClO2 has a several log advantage over sodium hypochlorite (standard chnorine bleach) so would always be my first recommendation for chemical treatment. Which form of ClO2 is up to the user. For me, the tablets are a no brainer as a backup or in my emergency kit but other methods are my primary choice.

Cheers,

That is also what I see at the Pristine site about the liquids versus what it does say for its filters. Note that it says, "ClO2 is effective against the following water contaminants". It doesn't say Pristine is nor does it give a percentage that it kills. Of course it may kill 90% of the nasties, but that is not adequate protection.

I would be happy to retract my statement if it can be shown that AquaMira and Pristine meet the same standards as MIOX.