Originally Posted By shotokun16
LOL @ anti wicking--changes were made.

GSI Dualist was bought for heavy duty cooking (e.g. chili, meat, rice, pasta, etc.). I will only boil water in the Jetboil stove and bring that for solo trips.

I have to say that I am bereft when people bring a ton of food on trips - I can't understand that. I go out to spend time doing things other than cooking. Give me just-add-water any time - fast, effortless, and no cleanup. And it packs down small enough that a lot of meals fit in a bear can. You will minimize the bear can size (and the amount of fuel you haul) by diminishing bulky food items. The kitchen is one of the easiest places to shed weight, just by altering a few things.

I dehydrate chili and pre-cook pasta then dehydrate it to make instant meals - anything can be made beforehand and dehydrated, with fairly good results. The chili comes back really well.

Quote:
For some weird and sick reason i wanna hike w/a backpack that contains +/- 40lbs of gear to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls and get a permit for tenting in that area. I was amazed in how some of the hikers were carrying 50lb external packs up there (Judging by my novice observation).

Not weird at all. Do an easy overnight elsewhere, prep yourself with day hikes for conditioning, do some food planning, then plan yourself the 3-4 day trip from one end of the north rim to the other, hitting Eagle Peak, El Capitan, the top of the falls, and North Dome. Ranger can help you with good spots near water for that route. If you're willing to haul some water you can dry camp in some good spots with views.

You'll want to know very specifically where camping is disallowed in that area. Along the rim is mostly day use only.

Quote:

Any recommendations for a good value 2person tent that weighs around 3-4lbs?

Look at tarptents and you will get much lighter than that for the room. They are perfect for the Sierra.

I found a Sierra Designs Lightning XT 1 for @ 150 on sale - it's about 3 lbs. SD makes decent tents for the budget minded.

http://hikeandbackpack.com