Originally Posted By balzaccom
So my wife and I have been doing some experiments over the winter, trying different combinations to create our own menus for this summer's backpacking trips. The goal is to create meals that taste good, are very lightweight, and have a ton of calories. And ideally, they should be cheap, too!

Our average freeze dried dinner weighs in at about 6-8 ounces, and usually has about 350 calories or so per serving. It costs about $6-8, and is a bit big and clunky--we always repackage in baggies. That means they are about 100 Calories per ounce. And about a penny per calorie.

We want to beat those ratios.

Sound impossible? Maybe. But in working through the options, we found something that does a pretty good job of meeting all those criteria.

So check out the Slim Jim beef stick: 170 calories, and less than a buck.

That's 170 calories per ounce...and about 1.7 calories per penny.

Now we are curious. Can any of the foods in your backpack beat that?

AVOCADOS. EGGS, CHEESE, SALMON PACKETS Bacon real rice. real beans,real pasta Eat fresh as long as you can bring seasonings, butter minced garlic, I cringe at the thought of the day i have take a mre hikeing. I usually feed everyone i hike with eventually, and have learned that fresh well seasoned / Prepared meals that are also high in protein, fat, and carb content. To be much more satisfying when they appeal to the pallet esp. with a nice cab or merlot. your miledge may varry but i will leave something nonessential at home to eat great out.

but then again what would i know i have only made a carrer out of feeding others.

Isnt that why we upgrade with lighter more expencive gear overtime. so when we find something we enjoy out we can comfortably carry it.

On my last trip i carried two 16oz. ribyes marrinating in sasoning and burbon. when i supprised my buddy with them at sundown. he said why did you do that and I simply replied because comfortably i could. after we polished of the steakes and baked potatoes i pulled out the rest of the burbon . i beleave he thought my pack had magical powers after that SAMOSET