Lori what kind of PS was it that failed? Curious if it was a phone ap.

I believe in a chaotic world and there are many ways to skin a cat, BUT a GPS is accurate and reliable enough to drop a smart weapon on a hardened target. GPS technology is neither unreliable nor in its infancy and is infact an old and reliable technology.

I too have a 6 in my number, but I was an electronics engineer. I can even operate a BIC lighter single handed!!! So since I feel compelled to give the other side:
The single most important principle in traditional (map and compass) navigation is "NEVER GET LOST" which sounds silly since who would really care where they were unless they were lost? confused but the idea is "if you know where you are and where you want to go, you simply calculate a route and follow it. However if you are lost a compass will do absolutely NOTHING to get you unlost (but looking at a map might), HOWEVER if you have a GPS and its been turned on, IT KNOWS where your truck or waypoint is and it will guide you there.
I look at google earth and maps to plan a trip, then I turn on my GPS and mark my car and carry spare batteries. There is absolutely nothing as comforting when lost in the mountains as a reliable arrow pointing the route and telling you the distance to your vehicle.
Jim
Heather I'm really glad you're going with WD. If it were me, I would take 15 degree bag or some 300 fleece pants.

Edited by Jimshaw (06/08/11 12:06 AM)