Washington State has enacted something called the "Discover" pass which will be required to access all state parks, DNR land and state fish and wildlife lands. The alternative was closing a bunch of state parks and all DNR lands to recreation. WA tried this method for state parks a few years ago and it didn't work (people didn't go, or parked outside the park where they could). Nearly all the funds collected were used to enforce the pass, so it didn't result in any more park money. I have my doubts that this new pass will work, either. I certainly don't plan to buy one. The one WA state park I visit frequently has lots of city-owned parking spaces just outside the small state park parking lot. When the former state parks pass was in effect, there would be no more than one or two cars in the state park lot; everyone else parked outside. I can get along without the few local hikes on the WA side of the Gorge that have state park or WA DNR trailheads.

Oregon, on the other hand, funds its state parks from lottery funds. The state parks are doing fine financially. The state is even opening a few new parks and adding rentable cabins and more yurts to some of the existing campgrounds.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/03/11 01:15 PM)