I rarely hike on trails, often hike alone, and generally try to avoid crossing paths with anyone. But that hasn't always worked.

I have often provided clothes, food, lighting, stuff from my FAK, and rides in my car to others. Other than beer when offered, I've never taken, needed, or asked for anything from a fellow hiker. I have needed a jump for my car when I got back from a trip a few times over the years blush

Honestly, I can't imagine depending on fellow backpackers I'd meet on my rambles, and, while I'm always willing to help someone who needs it, I've found as I've grown older that I get a bit perturbed sometimes by those who do. I've had to cut a few trips short because of that, and, the most common trait I've found among those that do require help is that they expect you to make sure they get it, and, really, you have no choice. You do have to help them, and you have to see it through all the way until they are safe. You can't pass them off to the next guy once you've taken them under your wings.

Over the years I've learned to avoid certain places at certain times because they will be overrun by those who depend heavily on the kindness of others.

I don't think anyone has perished because I wasn't there to help them. They may have been cold and hungry and wet a little longer, or they found some other pigeon, or maybe, hopefully, they learned a lesson in life.

On the other hand...

I've had people walk into my camp, ask where they are, find out they are miles from their camp or car, and it's about to get dark, and they refuse help. For me, that's even worse because I end up worrying about them for the entire trip.

As I said, I will never refuse helping anyone, but when backpacking I will avoid short odds on needing to, and for me, a big part of the fun is being totally self sufficient. I always thought that was, you know, the point of backpacking.

Finally, I know quite well that even though I try to have everything I need, and to be careful, there is a chance I might need help someday. I don't mean to be vain or harsh in my comments. I've tried to relate my experiences and feelings on this honestly, and, for whatever reason, I've had a lot of experience with people that needed help when I've been out camping, canoeing, backpacking, hiking, ect. I've seen people do some of the damnedest things out there. They've kind of worn me out.

"You want to go where?"