More thoughts....

I fought with:

Cub Den 1.5 Tarp and Bivy vs. Cub Den 1.5 Tent w/ bug netting (what I got) and beak or no beak for both shelter options I considered.

I knew I was not comfy with the amount of coverage the Hexamid gave me (judging from photos, who knows maybe I'd be fine) in bad weather (only a little bit more than my Poncho/Tarp) and with the extended beak I figured I'd get wet with the condensation anyway and that would pull the weight difference of the Hexamid w/ beak vs. Cub Den 1.5 w/ no beak to 1.92 ounces and $120 extra. Wasn't worth it to me to have to potentially deal with condensation and the unknown, but others may differ in their choice.

With the ability to remove the bivy in colder weather with no risk of bugs, I could def go lighter, but then I'd miss out on one of the benefits of the bivy in colder weather...seal out drafts for a guy that tosses and turns in a quilt. And I didn't want a bivy in warmer weather, because I want the ability to stretch out and subconsciously regulate my temperature by putting my feet outside the quilt when I get warm.

The other nice things about the bug netting is that it would act as as primitive splash guard for rain as well at the perimeter of my tent, keeping not only my quilt, but most of my gear drier. Plus I am human....maybe I think there won't be bugs on a trip but I bed down for the night and I've guessed wrong on a multi-day trip, now what? shocked So I carry a weight penalty for that comfort factor I guess. And with the bug netting at the perimeter I can squeeze on my GF or a buddy it looks like.

Tough calls all the way around, but nice to have options and quick shipping by the manufacturer. These days if folks want an extended beak he recommends a vent at the top of the shelter to vent condensation which I didn't want either (added weight). So I'll just get to the back of my roomy shelter is bad weather. From the downpour last night I think I'll be ok, but field testing is best.