I had been searching for a shelter and rain jacket setup to replace my GoLite Poncho/Tarp (10.44 oz) and my Montane Featherlite Smock (4.16 oz sized L). I was lucky to not get

wet with this small tarp setup (did not carry a bivy) and I wanted something lighter if possible and better rain coverage if windy.

I have never carried a bivy and was not willing to carry one for fear of added heat in the summer or restriction as a tumbling side/stomach sleeper with quilt. I also wanted my

entire shelter bug free instead of just my bivy/head area for comfort reasons.

So it came down to two Cuben Fiber (.51 oz) shelters:

- Zpacks Hexamid (quoted weights):
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml

7.45 tent (basically addition of bug netting to tarp)
+ 0.25 oz seam sealer
= 7.70 oz for just the tent w/out any guy lines or Line Lock 3s.
$285

Basic area of foot print: 108in x 30in = 3240 in2

vs.

- Bear Paw Cub Den 1.5 (measured weights):
http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/cubden.html

10.9 tent w/ line locks & webbing, bug netting and NO extended beak (taped/bonded, no seam sealing needed)
-0.37 subtracting Line Lock 3s & webbing (8 of them on shelter x 0.046 oz. weight quote sourced from Zpacks.com actually)
= 10.53 oz for just the tent w/ out any guy lines or Line Lock 3s.
$225

Basic area of foot print: 100in x 38in = 3800 in2

So a difference of 2.83 oz between shelters.

(The included guy lines weigh .9oz and CF stuff sack weighs .9oz)

The Zpacks is pitched 6 in off the in their blueprint by default where as the Cub Den 1.5 is shown pitched to the ground in their's so it's not really a fair comparison (as you

generally will pitch the Cub Den 1.5 off the ground as well unless it's storming). The Zpacks has more area under the tarp and is significantly taller. This is where the extra

weight in materials comes in. Plus, I did not need a full bug net floor in the Hexamid, only perimeter to keep bugs out, my Polycro ground sheet does the rest.

I picked the Bear Paw 1.5 for the following reasons:

- Good reviews on workmanship.
- Could get the shelter quickly (Ordered on 5/4, delivered on 5/18).
- Don't (hopefully) need bivy or extended beak (potential condensation problems) because Cub Den 1.5 shelter is bigger than Hexamid and can be pitched directly to ground in

inclement weather with more room to shift to the back of the shelter in driving rain.
- Cheaper than other considerations.
- Taped/bonded seams should hopefully be stronger and not separate with use over time.
- Could squeeze my GF in if she every decides to move on from car camping. :p (2 x Cascade Design NeoAir Shorts = 40 in wide)

*Of note. I had to go for the slightly heavier GG LT4S hiking poles vs. the TiGoat adjustable poles because they did not allow enough height when pitching this shelter for me

personally.

Based on weight and perceived coverage from the elements (just received the shelter today and have not tried it out)I gave this product a 4.

I did not give a rating of 5 because I was not able to obtain the average weights of the different parts/options on the shelter when I purchased the item. That was somewhat

frustrating and a leap of faith for a gram weenie like me, but it looks like the manufacturer has changed their website to break it down a little better with average weights of

components. The manufacturer was nice enough to spend time with me on the phone and let me know when the item shipped. I also appreciated the manufacturers willingness to

customize the shelter to my needs (I opted for a vertical zipper for the bug netting to save weight at the expense of a little more difficult to get in and out.)

Here are the pictures of the shelter in my office today as I received it (looks to me in fine condition even though USPS beat the crap out of the box)

http://www.imageno.com/image.php?id=hrib60dm3vjw&kk=3049670588

http://www.imageno.com/image.php?id=7stkpniouwra&kk=4224412422

I will attempt to set it up tonight w/ pics!