It looks like those on this forum are good sameritans rather than "moochers". I too have had to bail out the less prepared. More often than not, the totally unprepared are day hikers. I also carry battery cables in my car and have had to jump start a few people at the trailhead.

I will confess that I reduce my food to the wire, but have never asked for food when I am on my way out with no food left. I have hit my comfort limit many times, but never have felt my survival were in jepordy due to missing gear. In a group, we do all consolidate first aid gear and repair kits. I have been generously given extra fuel and food from people on their way out who just want to reduce their pack weight (because they took too much). They nearly beg me to take the stuff.

In a group I used to climb with there were a few annoying "moochers" who purposly used small summit packs (sorry I just do not have room to carry the "X"- whatever group gear we needed), never brought emergency gear (bivouacing on a ledge and the fellow next to me is on the verge of hypothermia so I give him my bivy sack and he uses my extra socks for mittens- now although I am not on the verge of hypothermia, my comfortable night just ended). These are experienced people who count on others charity in order to save weight in their own packs. They do not ask, but know I am a sucker for a pitiful look.

Overall, I probably take a bit too much clothing but have never regretted this.