I think it'd be worthwhile to combine some knowledge here and try and come up with a good, inexpensive, lightweight gear list.

A list for well tested DIY gear, and inexpensive off the shelf gear, and favorite or generally successful methods of scrounging gear.

Most all this info is scattered about here, but I think that if it was combined into a sort of list of recommendations, all critiqued, it could be a great resource for newbies and those just returning to the sport.

The main goal of this effort would be to gather good info that would lower the cost of entry as much as possible, and still enjoy the benefits, as much as possible, of going light and being efficient.

I thought of this after OM recently recommended someone read some of the gear lists posted here, specifically the 27 lb - 7-Day checklist, and I wondered how much it would cost to buy everything on that list, and what would be the least amount of money one would need to spend to achieve that goal, or as close to it as possible.

I don't mean to imply that the gear named on that list is too expensive, not at all. Only that, that list is was not compiled with a view towards the least cost to achieve the goal, and that approach might be an interesting exercise for us to toy around with, and certainly the results we'd find would be of value to others.

So, for example, let's say that right now you had no gear and a strong desire to go backpacking. You have $300 bucks to acquire the Big Three, and the rest you have to scrounge or buy with the money you have left over.

For a simple baseline, let's say you're going to camp when the lowest temps will be 45º at night, and 80º daytime highs. Could rain, could get windy.

The goal is to get everything you'll need on that 27 lb - 7-Day checklist and come as close to that 27lb mark as you can with that $300 bucks.

What would you bring that most anyone would have or can easily get?

What would you make yourself?

What would you buy?

When would you buy?

And of course, how close can you get to the $300/27lbs/7-days, goal?

"You want to go where?"