I got some Ti V-stakes a few years ago and they promptly bent at the holes! Not all titanium is durable.

The Ti shepherd hook stakes weigh about 1/4 ounce each, so are a significant weight saving over aluminum if you use more than a few.

I bought a couple of MSR Groundhog stakes (3/4 oz. each) to use for the front and rear guylines, which get the most tension on my tent (Gossamer Gear Squall Classic). They do hold better than the Ti shepherd hook stakes, but only in situations in which you can get them all the way in. In the typical rock- and root-infested tent sites I inevitably seem to pick, I still have to use a nice heavy rock for reinforcement. I therefore decided to leave the Groundhogs at home.

While (with rock reinforcement) I've found the shepherd hook stakes to hold up fine in winds, they do pull out if your dog or grandkid trips over the guy ropes while running at full speed, which is probably a good idea! laugh

Edited by OregonMouse (05/05/11 10:19 AM)