Do you use a gps? If so, I'd stash it in the container of your choice at least a quarter mile off the road/trail and use your concealment skills to render it not visible to anybody not literally atop it. Record a waypoint and perhaps take pics so you can easily find your way back.

For critterproofing, large rocks piled atop it should do the trick unless the area is frequented by highly skilled bears. I like the paintcan idea, as one 1-gallon can should hold enough for 3-4 days. I don't know if anybody uses metal paint cans any more, but rodents could conceivably chew on a plastic one. If you're ambitious, spraying it with a camo pattern could help conceal it.

Trying to secure it in sight of others probably guarantees it won't be there, so stealth would seem to be the way to go.

IIRC Colin Fletcher has information on caches in his book.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By CamperMom
Hi, Guys-

I'm planning a 6-8 day backpacking trip and want to cache food at the half-way point. I have a Bearikade, but am afraid it will be stolen. They are expensive enough that it would be worth a local vandal's time and gas expense to go home and get bolt cutters, then sell the can. This, unfortunately, is a high-vandalism area, so we are not able to leave cars even in the daytime in local lots. I'm thinking that chaining an ammo can to a tree and disguising it with leaves and brush in an out of the way spot is the way to go.

Opinions? Suggestions?

CamperMom