That's a good point.

You can't dig to deep here in most places, but you can usually dig far enough to cover it, and I don't think that'd slow down the decomposing of the stuff much here, but, it probably wouldn't deter a determined dog either.

As for me, I always walk at least 100 yards from trails, campsites and streams, and as I was pondering Jim and OM's comments my first thought was there wouldn't be any dogs around where I go, so I'm good, but then I considered how my dogs hike with me, and when not on a leash they cover ten times as much ground as I do and follow up on everything they catch a whiff of, so, while I may be "Good" some of the time, that can't be true all of the time.

That said, I don't think you can stop a dog from doing that unless they are constantly constrained.

My neighbor, who didn't bury his stuff, did his business early one morning and then hiked about two miles to his spot to hunt deer. On the way back he did a wide loop around, bushwhacking the entire way, and about 50 ft from his deer camp his shoe made a direct landing in the middle of his earlier business. Everyone in the camp was sitting there watching him when he did that, and that tale gets repeated often by the witnesses when they talk about him, or the risk of deer hunting in general. That alone is a good enough lesson for me about why burying your stuff is a good idea laugh

"You want to go where?"