Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By dragonictigeron
The reason I was looking at the Aether 70 was per local outfitter suggestion plus the fact am potentially going to do the AT within a few years. But I am thinking the Aether 60 or maybe smaller. I am wanting light but I'm not sure about Ultra- Light.

If I were doing the AT I would be as close to ultralight as I could get, and take my tarp and hammock. The ease of resupply makes it possible. I'd use my 40 liter pack and have room to spare... Length of trip has less to do with size of the pack, the only variable is the amount of food you carry. The only increase in weight for me is in food - but I don't have easy resupply spots where I go.

First will be the 3 day and 1 week trips, after that I don't know exactly. I am not comfy with a tarp tent because of all the bugs where I live so I plan on a solo tent, though I think a tarp tent may be what I like. So having said that what would be a normal pack weight and how big of a pack would work well? and options on tent?

Also I asked my father, who has been interested in backpacking but never done it, if he had any books to read and he pulls out a copy of "The Complete Walker IV" by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rowling. So I have some good reading to do.