Originally Posted By Howie
I like tarps but the lack of bug protection can be an issue. Also, tarps are much more fiddley to set up.

LOL. Was just reading a crashing huge thread on another forum arguing this point.

When I was a kid we were broke - we used a blue tarp. Heavy as heck, but easy enough to string up by weighting one end and using a couple of sturdy sticks we found to put through the grommets and prop up one side.

Tying up a rope between two trees and throwing the tarp over, tying out with stakes and guy lines, is also not rocket science.

It's all a great adventure. As a kid I didn't give a fig about bugs - in fact, finding the big gnarly bugs under rocks was kind of cool. I was probably the most mosquito bitten girl in the wilderness but I didn't care about that either. Slept like a rock on the ground when our cheap air mattresses leaked - still did not care. I wish I were still that easy to please! Backpacking would be a lot cheaper.

http://hikeandbackpack.com