Originally Posted By billstephenson
Ha! A fellow Ozarker! Our numbers are growing here, soon we'll be counted as a minority instead of grouped with "Other" laugh

Glenn offers some great advice so I'll take a slightly different bend on this...

First off, we've got some of the best places to camp and backpack anywhere, so we're pretty lucky. I say the first thing to do is take him out and get him a pack, or fit him up with one of yours if you have a spare.

Then locate a good spot. For your purposes a good spot would be someplace close to home that you can hike about two miles to get to, has some interesting scenery or unique features you can explore, and a nice place to set up camp.

Head out when the weather is good. If you have to ditch your plans and wait a week, do it. You don't want to be stuck out in a hard rain or thunderstorm on your first trip, you want it to be an adventure, and lots of fun, not miserable.

Ask him if he wants to bring a friend. Odds are he will. If he does, let them run loose a bit and explore by themselves. He will have a lot more fun with a buddy his age, and knowing your there will give them both confidence to feel at ease and enjoy the trip more. Plus they'll both be bragging to all their buddies about their adventures when they get back and this will really help make him want to go again.

Don't worry about "Bonding". He may be off with his friend acting like a kid and being goofy, but he'll remember forever that you took him there and that's where the real bond will start.

Work on basic skills once you get there. Let them set up the tent while you're getting water, make them help gather sticks for starting a small campfire (others here are in areas where that's not a good idea, but I'm assuming you'll be in the Ozarks), and then cook their own food over it. Hot Dogs work great for this because you can cook them on a stick, and they'll stay fresh for several days in a pack in cool weather.

Once you set up camp go do some exploring. I took my kids out and when it was time to go back I'd ask them to lead the way. The first time I did this they were pretty much clueless. This offered a perfect opportunity to introduce lessons in finding your way. If they know the way back, let them lead you there. If they get off track, tell them and point out what they're missing.

Use opportunities as they present themselves to offer lessons. For example, when you gather sticks, explain that snakes, like copperheads, like to hang out in thick brush, under fallen trees, and under and in crevices of rocks and ledges. Show them how to make a small, safe fire and how to put it out completely. When you're by the water explain that water moccasins like to hang out on rocks and roots of trees by the water's edge during the day and swim along the shoreline looking for food at night. Explain that poking sticks into holes (burrows) might incite an angry groundhog or other critter to come out after them. Around here, teach them to identify poison ivy (leaves of three, let it be). Also point out the hairy vines that grow up tree trunks. They may not have leaves, but they have the oils that give you the rash.

After a handful of trips like these, probably when he's about 14, he'll be ready to do longer trips and brave a little weather. Help him build up his own gear with Christmas and Birthday presents and when he's 15-16 take him on a colder weather trip. Plan a trip a few days before the full moon and do a night hike on a moonlit night. Plan another on a new moon and camp where it's far from city lights and do some star gazing. Point out constellations, satellites, and look for shooting stars.

Another great thing you can do here is take him on an overnight float trip. My kids loved those at his age and they still do more canoe trips than hiking now. But they're not much different when it gets down to it and I love to float too when the forest gets to thick in the warm months.

I'd offer some tips on where to go but I haven't spent much time in your neck of the woods, if you ever want to come down near Branson or the Buffalo River I can point you to some nice spots.

Have you ever hiked at ha ha tonka ? that is were i am taking him to start they have some very nice trails one that i haven't hiked yet is 7 miles and it can be cut to 3 with short cuts so thats where iam going to take him . Thank you for the advice!