Yeah, don't tempt the bears. Let them live and be wild. Don't start them down the road to being like the Yosemite bears. Hanging food in Yosemite is against the rules - the bears get the food. Canisters from the approved list only.

Looking at the website for Grandfather Mt, I see they require you to hang food. So you should do that, and also include your trash, your toothpaste, any lotions or other scented items that might be of interest to a bear. Or carry a bear canister big enough to hold all these things plus your food.

For a good hang, I suggest getting the rope over a good branch well before nightfall. 50 feet of line, and a branch should allow you to hang at least 10 feet from the trunk of the tree, the branch itself should be spindly/small enough that it won't support the weight of a bear, and the food should be at least 15 feet off the ground (and hang down from the branch more than arm's length) when you're done. I use the PCT method since counterbalancing is a PITA. A carbiner and a stick is all you need in addition to the line.

http://hikeandbackpack.com