Quote:
"I've spent many many nights camping in extreme mountain winter weather, chasing storms, and sitting out in the storms. If you have the right clothes your feet do not get cold. If you're from Washington and it was single digits, why were you wearing silk underwear and "pants" instead of midweight long underwear and down pants?"

I think we might be talking past each other a bit here --- if I read this right, you're trying to help me figure out the right additional clothing to wear so I can sit around (out of a sleeping bag) in low temps and stay comfy.

I'm saying that I don't want to carry all of those heavy clothes when a style shift allows me to be plenty warm; I'm not normally geared up to "sit around a lot" comfortably in camp, because it's not my usual style.

Indeed, if I went out with the intent of winter "sit around a lot" type of camping, I'd bring a separate ccf pad to put under my down booties and bring my BPL cocoon pants, maybe chemical heat units to put in the booties. I don't care to bring those things, but instead prefer a hiking style that minimizes "sit around and chew the fat" time in cold weather. Much less time in camp equates for me (in all four seasons) to more comfort and more miles or easier miles while walking (or skiing) on the trail.

I'm not looking to convert anyone here (!). I do think this sort of conversation is helpful for folks to think about alternative styles of hiking (or camping). Definitely no one and only one "right" way !