Originally Posted By BrianLe

I'm do think that if the only criteria is to have a warmer sleeping bag for X weight, then it's more efficient to put all of that weight into the sleeping bag insulation. But given that we often want some relatively warm clothing too, it only makes sense to me to factor that in when selecting the sleeping bag.

I normally do just as you are doing, and augment the bag with warm clothing. it often means I'm carrying a lighter bag..

But I have thought long and hard about this - my *clothing* is proabably heavier than a warmer bag. - so just suppose for a minute that instead of carrying two merinos and a fleece, in addition to my walking around clothing, I only carried one merino, my long johns, and resolved to dive into my (warmer) bag when I got cold..

I know the difference between my -3C and my -15C rated bag for weight is a lot less than the weight of that clothing.. which I don't wear when I am moving around... If I'm content to hike all day and just dive into the bag at night - food for thought..

Browse my pictures