I promised myself that I would stay out of this but here I go again. I suspect I have a character flaw of some sort.

There are obviously two views in this debate: One basically represents the experience of those who camp in the woods in cold snowy weather; the other is that of mountaineers who have to camp at high altitudes where fatigue, high winds and limited space are a factor. Many hunters and winter campers experience the cold, snowy woods; few have any idea of what it can be like on high mountains in winter or in the polar regions even in summer.

I spent 6 months in the field doing research in Antarctica. This was not during the depth of winter; it was late spring, summer, and early fall - the warm season. I saw temperatures as low as -45°C and winds as high as 90 mph. Snow loading was not a problem. I have experienced similar conditions during winter climbs on some of the higher peaks in the lower 48. Here snow loading was a significant problem. In my opinion, using a tarp under these conditions, however carefully set up would be suicidal.

The tents we used in Antarctica were A-frames with sod flaps and frost liners. They had tunnel entrances and ventilators and also had a zippered flap one could fold back for cooking and emergency peeing. The fabric of these tents was a tightly woven, strong, Pima cotton poplin and the tubular aluminum tent poles which fit in sleeves at either end of the tent were about an inch in diameter. The tents weighed about 12 lb ready to set up and would hold three in a pinch. If we had delicate scientific work to do in the tents, we would warm them using a white gas stove and hoped that the exhaust would escape through the vents and fabric.

The tent I used on my winter mountaineering excursions was a nylon version of the tents we used in Antarctica; the Sierra Designs Glacier tent. This has a full zip entrance on one end and a tunnel entrance on the other. It came with a rain fly (not usually necessary in winter conditions) and a frost liner. I still use my Glacier sometimes though I don't do winter climbs anymore. It weighs about 8 1/2 lb ready to pitch. I am not familiar with newer makes and/or versions; my SD Glacier dates to 1972. But I am sure that the newer mountaineering tents incorporate those features that have been proven either necessary or highly desirable: sod flaps, strong breathable fabric and poles, tunnel entrance and frost liner.

I suspect that those who suggest use of a tarp in mountain winter or polar conditions have no knowledge of what weather conditions can be like at high altitude or at high latitudes. Advocating a tarp in spite of this lack of knowledge borders on recklessness. To me, the idea of using a tightly pitched, waterproof and virtually air-proof tarp together with a potential source of carbon monoxide is a bit foolish. I would sooner just get in my sleeping bag to stay warm than risk CO poisoning.