Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By chimpac

I agree this is a long way from the subject of the thread.
It is about 4 season tents which are to heavy and a waste of money. A tarp and chimney/stove burning what ever fuel would be my choice for a comfortable trip.

Indeed chimpac - it is a long way off the subject of the thread - so you do kinda come off as a one horse broken record. A tarp shelter might be survivable in good weather somewhere like denali but a mountaineering tent is *NOT* a waste of money in such place - which is what the OP asked about. I'll take a tarp a lot of places, not somewhere like that - and advocating such a thing is plain dangerous - sorry - and that's why you're getting a a bit of a hard time from some people - who have been in such places.

I have no problem with you advocating your favorite rig, even if not my choice of rig - to the point where you are advocating someone do something dangerously risky. A tarp shelter in such a place is probably not a good idea.

A tarp that is plain dangerous, what tarp are you talking about? Dangerously risky, like no floor, or the pegs might pull out.What is it.
Those that have been such places, make some sense here, blizzard -30C. I do not have to go far to find hostile weather.

Edited by chimpac (01/03/11 05:05 PM)