I grew up in middle of Rockford, Illinois. It's the second largest city in the State, about 90 miles west of Chicago. My walk to school each morning looked (and felt) like the opening scene in the movie "Joe and the Volcano". I left Rockford in 1973 when I was fourteen.

Around that time Rockford was rated last of the 300 largest U.S. cities to live in. It also had the distinction of having the highest murder per capita rate in the U.S.

My love for hiking was not borne from family tradition. We never went hiking or camping. I won't say it's got nothing to do with where I grew up though...

I remember reading a story about the Sequoias in 3rd grade, and wondering if, then doubting that, I'd ever get to see them. I can say with some certainty that it was a profound moment that led me to an understanding of my situation, and even those around me.

It led me to questioning why we lived in Rockford. It led to me grabbing the first chance I had to leave Rockford, which got me to the Sequoias wink

Eventually, it led me to understanding I could live wherever I wanted. It was easy figuring out that I didn't want to live in the city, but not as easy figuring where to go. A good friend gave me some great advice and a formula for figuring that out.

Backpacking has a lot to do with why I'm here in the Ozarks, that is for sure smile

"You want to go where?"