Update on knee: I was a good patient and followed orders. I didn't try to do more than my PT wanted me to, and I'm very glad I listened. My first baby hike was Oct 30, and I've been out every weekend since! I hiked 12.7 miles a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm starting to go up and down steep hills.

The recovery was not a linear process - good weeks, bad weeks, lots of dark thoughts about never hiking again, but I'm through the worst of it. According to my PT, the knee will continue to improve for several more months as it toughens up. A week ago I went cold turkey off the Mobic (anti-inflammatory) and I'm happy to report I'm doing fine without it.

When I get back to scrambling, I will have to do most of the climbing with my good knee, but at least I know it's doable. And you know, I'm really really happy to just be back on the trail, whatever my limitations will turn out to be! I had my 56th birthday a week ago and I told everyone my birthday present was sore quads from the Saturday hike smile

Edited by moondust (12/13/10 05:25 PM)